Thursday, 22 November 2007

# 3 Let there be light!

Since SL is up and running again I thought it would be a good idea to show you how to make some stuff. :)

It's coming on christmas here and the days keep getting shorter, so I believe I'm going to show you how to light up your Second Life with some touch on-off lights for your home.
I'll be selling theese later on my SLexchange account if you can't be bothered making them yourself.

The lights I'm going to make are very simple to put together, 3 prims and they can be modified to suit your taste. As I mentioned earlier they have a on-off on touch script in them and it's very important to link the lamp the right way to ensure you can click it anywhere to turn it on.
But I'll show you that later.

This is what they'll look like.



And it can be varied in oh so many ways..



So how do you make this light shine??

The trick is to insert a touch on-off light script into the black top prim (or any of the prims really) , the script I use is made by 2fast4u Nabob, thank you, and it can be found HERE

He's got two scripts on this page, I prefer to use the later one.
Anyway just copy the script (inbetween the [php] and [/php] marks!!!) and put it all in a "new script" under the contents tab of the black top prim. (clear the "new script" out first..)

Ok.. now when you touch the black prim, you will find that it glows! ^^

The other two prims I use, the lampshade and the sculpty prim are just decorative really.

To make the lampshade I use a "RING" prim, I hollow it out under the object tab and put the B profile cut to 0.500 then I change the outer texture to some texture I have with bits of alpha "see through" texture in it.. wich could be a railing or a metallic grid anything you got. Then I use a different texture for the inside, preferably white wedding lace and then change the color of it.
puh.. did you get all that?

The sculpty prim is a freebie called "pole" that I found.


..::..


When you are happy with your design it's time to link the prim.
To make the whole lamp touch sensitive you have to link the Black prim containing the script last. In other words.. right click the lampshade and press EDIT.. now, hold down Shift and click every other part of your lamp but save the scripted prim for last!
When all of them are marked release Shift and press Ctrl + L to link them.

If all goes well the Scripted prim will have a yellow outlining while all the other ones have blue outlines.

..::..

Great now you have your very own lamp to light up your day!

Untill next time.
//Cora Caproni

No comments: